Monday, March 2, 2015

Casting Shadows in Drawing

Today's class was about identifying light and shadow within our drawing. Our still life for this lesson and assignment was on a bunch of objects that were already 'white.' This was cool, because the objects were not pure white, they were smudged with charcoal, off-white, and made of different white materials. Then, when our instructor turned off the fluorescent lights, well that's when we saw all the different shades within the gray scale. 

This lesson portrayed the importance of how a light source can affect an object. Learning about how to identify highlights, light tones, half tones, base tones, reflected light areas, and cast shadows was really fascinating. I did not know there were so many forms of light components on an object. 

The instructor also taught us a really cool tip in making sure you are covering all these components and values in your drawing - start with the half tone. That means, cover your entire paper with vine charcoal - this gives you that half tone you need for most of your drawing. Then by using an eraser or conte white pastels you can make areas lighter to completely white and using compressed charcoal and conte black pastels, you can make areas darker or completely black. What a great tip!!!!???!!

I think my time-frame was pretty efficient. I completed the entire drawing within the 2.5-hr drawing in class session and then took it home to add the highlights and details (maybe another 1-hr of work). Not too bad! The above right photo is the actual still-life in a photo I took (clearly, I take a photo of the still-lives I do, to compare and contrast my observational skills of the actual still life to my drawing). Below is a transitional drawing (left - still in the progress) and my final (right - completed).

TheChristyBel



No comments:

Post a Comment