Monday, August 25, 2014

Grounded From Hiking...And All Other Outdoor Things Fun

So, I finally gave in and scheduled an appointment with an orthopedic doctor to examine my knees. After the two Teton peak summits, the attempt up Mt. St. John, the steep hike to the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort Yurt, and some intermediate hiking around the GYE, my knee has expressed 'enough is enough, Christy. You need to take me to the doctor. Something is really wrong!'

And yes, after a day of hobbling around and in lots of pain, I made an appointment to see what the deal is. It was not as bad as I was anticipating (you know...surgery), but I was told that I was grounded from hiking for two-months and that I had a few weeks of physical therapy in store for me, as well as a lifestyle change for my knees.

My Hurt Zones
Patello-Femoral Pain Syndrome - is when you get lots of pain in the front of your knee. Caused by overuse, injury, excess weight (mainly my entire life of 14+ years of dance/color guard, lots of hiking and backpacking, and probably carrying more weight in my packs) that the kneecap is not properly aligned or changes under the knee cap. As the doctor tested out a bunch of stretches and movements with my legs, he showed me with his finger over my knee cap that the cap actually does move off alignment! It was sooo gross!

Since the knee cap does not properly align and slide over the right spot in my knee, it slides over bone, causing the bone to rub against the back cartilage of my knee cap, which in turn makes my knee so tender and irritated, causing incredible amounts of pain and a terrible time trying to walk.

My Knee Just Moves All Around When I Hike/Walk...Gross.
I know it seems really bad, but the doctor stated that I had beautifully strong legs (IT Bands were great, my tendons, and other muscles were great, it is just those muscles that connect to my knee cap that were weak and needed to be strengthened. He stated that by strengthening my knees, hips, and core, I can make my legs stronger and can help me not feel little to no pain when I participate in my favorite activities again.

But until then, when I enroll in some physical therapy (which will have to wait until I get to Laramie), I am grounded from hiking, backpacking, jumping, dancing, mountain biking, etc.

Hearing those words were the most terrible words you can ever say to a dancer/outdoor enthusiast/hiker. But I know, that once I start getting myself better, the sooner I will be able to do awesome things again. Maybe Laramie came at the right time? Who says I'll have time to do fun things anyway?!

Just Breathe...
I'm Gonna Get Better.

TheChristyBel

No comments:

Post a Comment