Sunday, May 10, 2015

Training With Jackson Hole Wildlife Safaris

Overlook at the Grand Teton Lodge Company
at Willow Flats
Well, I guess since I have been posting images on my Instagram (which you should follow @thechristybel), I will be moving back to Jackson Hole following the University of Wyoming (at least for now). I have found a seasonal summer job with Jackson Hole Wildlife Safaris as a summer wildlife and tour guide. I am beyond super excited for this opportunity. I wanted to try something different from what I am used to (environmental education) and try out the eco-tourism path. I am spending my weekend here in Jackson in some training before I have to head back to Laramie for the LAST TIME! Training has been wonderful; despite the cold, cloudy and rainy weather conditions, it has been perfect for finding wildlife and refreshing my knowledge on the GYE and Jackson Hole. It's been great!
Day One of training consisted a lot of the normal 'Welcome to the Company' and paperwork logistics, but come afternoon, we were in the van being shown some of the secret spots to go to for wildlife, special moments, scenic photo areas, and the routes in which we can go. It was super fun and soooooo great being back in the park. I am really stoked for this because I'll be back in the park everyday, capturing and sharing moments with people.

Day Two and Three (today) are where I have in shadow-mode. I join tours with some really experienced guides where I can observe how they go about their tours, what they talk about, how they approach their groups, and what they decide to show or take our clients to. It's been awesome. I have been even allowed to chime in and talk as well (which is great practice for what I want to do) and give my guide opportunities to watch me for instant feedback. Yesterday (Day Two), I observed one of our guides, Dave, in two sunrise and sunset tours. It was great, we found and saw a lot of really awesome things to show our clients, and I was also able to chat and guide a smidge as well. It was great practice and a great way to see what I needed to work on before I start leading my own tours. The clients were also incredibly helpful too! They had great feedback and comments too (not to mention we got along great since the entire van was filled with people from back east - super close connections).

Below are some snapshots of some of the wonderful things we saw yesterday. More photos to come!

TheChristyBel

Morning With My Moose!
Mormon Row

Lunch Companion: A Red-Shafted Northern Flicker
One of My Favorite Birds
Stella's Marina
And The Icing to the Evening Cake:
Grizzly 610 (Daughter of 399) and Her Two New Cubs!
My Heart Exploded!

No comments:

Post a Comment