Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Objects Out of Context

For my last drawing assignment of my graduate career, we were asked to create a composition of an object out of context. This is sort of a synthesis of our learning: taking all of the techniques and strategies we have learned and putting them to a themed assignment. Our subject is supposed to be an object or thing that is placed or being used outside of its original or intended context. I decided to draw my Beta Fish in my morning smoothie in a blender. Do not worry, no fish was harmed in the creation of the composition. I'll get more into the creation in a moment.

So this composition was to be drawn from a still life, created by you, and to not draw from a photograph. We have been focusing on the principles and elements of design and so not only were we asked to create the composotion, but be thoughtfully aware and conscientious of the placement of our still life based on the principles and elements. Elements of design are the building blocks of a composotion: lines (types of lines), shapes (the positive and negative spaces and relationships), values (color and textures of our objects), and time (gesturally drawing quick). Principles of design include: balance (opposing forces), contrast (placement of opposing forces), emphasis (focal points and areas), direction (implied or actual directing), repetition (of colors, shapes, textures), scale (relation of one thing to another) and proportion (relation of parts to the whole), space (decorative flat shapes and 3-D plastic depth cues), unity + variety = harmony (visual linking of various elements in the work) and economy (doing a lot with little, gestural and expressive actions).

This composition was triggered from an early morning routine of making a smoothie every morning before I head onto campus, feeding my fish and a lack of sleep from the constant go from school. There was one morning when I caught myself almost placing fish food in my smoothie (I blame that I was not fully awake yet). It then escalated into scaring me that I would one day place my fish in my smoothie if I was not careful. You can tell that my drawing represents making a meal and that something is not right about that meal; maybe that means it’s an early morning and someone is not really paying attention to what is going into the blender. Reflecting back on this drawing, I could indicate a more sense of time: include a clock showing an early hour, a fishbowl with no fish in it, or an empty coffee cup.

Step 1 - Quick Sketch
Step 2 - Adding Dark and Lights











Step 3 - Adding Details
Throughout the process of creating a fish in a blender, I focused on the following elements: line, shape, value, color, and texture. The variety of lines in the composition (actual: from the lines in the tile wall, the bottom of a cabinet, to the reflective lines in the blender; implied: the downward direction of the blender itself and the cascading from the blender to the plate of strawberries) portray direction in leading the viewer to areas of emphasis (ie. the blender and the contents in and around it). The shape and color within the composition was also emphasized. The blender and its surrounding ingredients were portrayed with darker tones, which created more emphasis and visual weight on the blender as the focal point of the drawing and gave an intense contrast in space from the foreground (blender) to the background (countertop). In addition to the contrast between dark (objects) and light (the countertop background), I repeated similar hues of gray and expressive hatching as a texture for the strawberries in the blender to on the plate. This also indicated direction from the blender to the plate or vice versa. The use of space within the composition was also emphasized: lots of overlap of the small ingredients in and around the blender; and there was a little bit of haziness indicated in the background to enhance the blender and its plate of ingredients as the focal point.

A Real Photo (with Beta Photoshopped In)
Photo Credit to Marc Sweet

Finished Composition

No comments:

Post a Comment