Thursday, February 12, 2015

Rare Clouds Form Over the Tetons

I am wishing I was in Jackson right now...let me tell you and show you why!

Yesterday, there was this really cool wispy cloud that hovered over the Teton Mountain Range. Through the photos that I saw online, it looked super cool and mysterious! I really wish I could've been there to see it in person. 

The clouds were described as 'shape-shifting' and 'had billowed like a handkerchief of a seagull with its beak touching the Grand's summit.' 

Meteorologists called the cloud a lenticular cloud. These types of clouds form downwind of mountain ranges under certain atmospheric conditions. They perfectly occur in symmetrical disks appear like huge alien UFO flying saucers. The lenticular cloud that formed in the Tetons resulted from an unusual combination of strong winds and moisture residing at the 13,000 - 14,000-ft elevations. 

It is just crazy and mind-boggling that clouds can form not just from varying atmospheric conditions, but the land itself! Super cool.

There is a formal article about this where I got this information. Check it out!

TheChristyBel

Photo Credit to the Grand Teton National Park

No comments:

Post a Comment