Friday, February 6, 2015

Cruisin' With Charcoal

Let me just say, I have not touched charcoal (maybe in a formal class) since senior or junior year of high school. Mrs. Yarnall would be incredibly proud I am taking advantage of these art classes here at UW. Although, I really wish I stepped this up when I was at Delaware. Oh well, I'm doing it now, and that's all that matters.


Day Two: Basis Drawing
I believe we have had 6-classes already. From the time I got into the class until now, Shelby, our professor has had us drawing for majority of each of our class sessions. It's great! He plays really awesome music and I just get into the zone.

Day 2 - when he asked us to bring in all the required materials (which I left a lot home...or the supplies I did have were not the right materials...so that meant a pretty penny at the store. Bah), he asked us to draw what we saw on the tables. The tables were covered in colored balls, bottles, sheets, knick-knacks, pots, and fruit. We took the entire, or well majority of the class just drawing what we saw. To your right, is what I had done in that one session. This drawing is our basis of our transition and progression in this course. Shelby will assess how we have progressed in our drawing based on this one drawing. I thought I did decently well for the amount of time we were given, but in reality...he said they were ALL terrible! bahhhhh! what?!?! That was something I had not heard in a while! But I mean, I'm coming into this class with open mind and to perfect the technique I already have. So.... we will see!

Day 4: Getting Acquainted with Materials
I believe this was Day 4: The next drawing is when we were learning how to use our materials and quick sketch our observations. By using different pressurized lines, you can gain shape of the subject you are drawing. Once you have that, you can go deeper and detailed into your drawing.

I'm really liking this drawing class. Charcoal is not a strong medium for me: clearly, if you look at past work I am a Pen & Ink artist. But...this will make me that much a damn good one later on! These are the only drawings I have so far in this class' portfolio. More to come, this semester has JUST started.

Charcoal On!
TheChristyBel

No comments:

Post a Comment