Sunday, October 5, 2014

Adventure Film Festival in Boulder, CO

So we found out this weekend, that the Adventure Film Festival was in town; well in Boulder, Colorado. Marc has been to a few film festivals before and said they are really cool and fun to go to. Since Boulder is about 2-hours away from Laramie, and I had finished a lot of my work ahead of time, we decided to have a 4-day weekend down there. Leaving right after one of my meetings, we packed up his van and drove down to Boulder.

Seeing Bigger Landforms Along the Drive.
Reminds Me of The Tetons...Sort Of.
Passing through Fort Collins and Boulder was sort of a shock for us. I have not been in a big city since maybe December when I was back east for the holidays. So seeing big stores like a bunch of Walmarts, Targets, top named brands stores, & lots of fast food joints, were pretty weird, but also very comforting to feel like I was home (not that I went to any of them, haha). 

The Sunset Driving into Boulder.
We got to Boulder around maybe 7pm. We stopped on Pearl Street, which is there main street of downtown, walked around the shops and had dinner at this really nice restaurant. It was really nice weather to stroll around the downtown. We then travelled about 20-minutes to Boulder Canyon and found a turn-off on the side of the road in the canyon that overlooked the Boulder Valley and slept in the van for the night. Yes, for car camping! The city skyline was absolutely beautiful in the clear night. I wish I had taken a photo, but 1.) my phone had died and 2.) my phone would not have been able to take the shot and scene that we saw. When we woke up, the city was covered in a dense fog, but still a beautiful and sunny morning on the overlook! Sorry, still no photos.

Hanging Downtown with a Frog
Photo Credit to Marc Sweet
Llama Puppets!
Photo Credit to Marc Sweet
The Flat Irons in the Distance!
Photo Credit to Marc Sweet
National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)
Super Pumped to Visit Here!
Dr. Leathers Would Be So Proud (And Jealous!)
After waking up a little chilly in the van, we drove back down to the valley and stopped at a WHOLE FOODS store to stock up on food for the day and breakfast. Man, it made me miss home and having an easy access to Whole Foods. Wahhh. I missed it! But we got some snacks, breakfast, and coffee and headed to a local outdoor gear store to ask them where some prime places to HIKE and climb were.

OH SIDE NOTE - PS NEWS UPDATE! So, I've been attending physical therapy in Laramie since school basically started and they gave me the clear to try hiking and climbing again! They have been giving me so many exercises for my knees, core, and back, along with the worst procedure ever: a dry needling. Which is by the way the worst, but best thing that has happened to my knees. They recreated the pain I get after hiking by having me run, 'hiking' on a treadmill, squats, jumps, whatever, nothing was working (I guess my knees are getting stronger). So they had to press down on my muscles near my knees, which definitely triggered the pain. Once they found the pain spots, they placed 4-needles into that muscle. Let me tell you, so much pain. I bursted into tears during the first needle. Apparently the needles that are going into the epicenter of pain in my knee is supposed to loosen up the muscle and cause the pain to stop occurring. Type 2 fun indeed, but totally worth the pain! No pain during my hike!

Ok, back to the Boulder weekend: after getting some ideas from the mountaineering gear shop, we decided to go to NCAR (the National Center for Atmospheric Research) and hike around their trails. The NCAR is right in front of the Mesa Trail that allows you to travel up and down along the Flatirons. They were incredibly beautiful. They are huge slabs that jut out of the land, great for climbing, and a great hike around.

The Flatirons! I want to hike and climb all of you!
We set onto the Mesa Trail and headed north. Approached the Third Flatiron where we scrambled up a portion of it. Want to free solo? No....definitely not. Saw and met some people that were and as we scrambled up, I looked down and was kind of freaked out. I need a rope. haha.

Looking Up the Third Flatiron.
The hike was absolutely wonderful. A great 3-hour trek before heading into town for the Adventure Film Festival started. And guess what, through the uneven terrain, walking over big rocks and uneven footing, scrambling up part of the Third, my knees were doing great! Super excited! Marc and I can adventure and hike again! haha.

Pano of the Flatirons!
A Wonderful and Beautiful Day to Try Out My New & Improved Legs! haha.
A Beautiful Fall in Boulder
 That evening, we went to the first night of the Adventure Film Festival. This was so cool. Seeing films and short clips of people pursuing their dreams and adventuring in the outdoors was incredibly inspiring. I definitely wanted in on this community. To adventure and document all your experiences and make an awesome visual collaboration...yes, please!

Boulder Adventure Film Festival
Photo Credit to Marc Sweet
That night, we spent the night with Marc's friend Matt and his girlfriend, Meg. Both are really into mountaineering and climbing, particularly ice climbing. So they were telling us about the climbing here and where to go. So, we had sometime before the second night of the film festival, so we decided to go to Boulder Canyon and try out the Happy Hour Crags.

Fluffy Kitty, Brinna.
Happy Hour Crags is in Boulder Canyon and you pull off onto the side of the road in the canyon, and just hike up. The cliff walls are right on the side of the road. It was really intimidating, but really fun to climb the walls, look down and see the cars just drive below you! Don't worry, Mom, I was safe and in good hands! It was super fun. I am slowly getting the hang of climbing, trusting the rope, and overcoming my fear of heights (and falling). I even tried a small roof and some crack climbing! 

Marc Lead Climbing to Set Up the Top Rope
Had to Take Butt Photos!
Sunday after the film festival weekend, Meg, Matt, Marc, and I decided to go to El Dorado and try out a few routes there. It was really nice that the three (even though they are pretty experienced) were willing to top rope and climb some routes that were suitable for me. In 'El Do' we climbed Breezy and part of the Bastille routes. Lots of crack climbing. Totally learning a lot while actually doing it.

Meg & Matt Watching Marc Ascend Up Breezy
Marc Leading on the First Part of Bastille
Almost to the Anchor
I'm Going to Be Climbing This Shortly...
My Turn on Bastille's First Pitch
Half Way There - Tackling the Crux of the Route
Climbing was soooo fun. I am really glad Marc is teaching me more and more about this sport. It's really fun and a great way to test and challenge myself, also its a great trust opportunity (for myself and for Marc and I).

The Boulder weekend was super fun and one of the best weekends I have had this fall. Being outside and being able to hike again has been the happiest thing to do since I moved to Laramie. Ahhh.

TheChristyBel

Trying This New Hobby...And Liking It!
Marc & I in Front of the Flatirons

No comments:

Post a Comment