Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Ceramics Saga: Problem #3 - Bowls

Well, my altered forms (Problem #2) have been glazed. Most are going to be fired in Oxidation, while I have one of them being fired in a Salt Fire atmosphere! Don't worry if you do not understand that lingo. You soon will when they come out and I have some photos to go along with my explanation.
Anyways, we were given our third problem (Problem #3) for the semester: bowls. Throwing bowls is really different from throwing cylinders, pots, vases, etc. So you do the same similar process of centering and making sure the clay body is in a nice round, ball 'quiet' blob in the middle of the wheel.
When you make your well to open the clay body, you do not go straight in at a vertical approach, but a more slanted approach. So when you look at your well it is more of a V than a U-shape that you use when you throw cylinders and vases.

Making the bowls are a lot less complicated than throwing vertical cylinders, cups, and vases. I actually enjoy throwing bowls more than everything else. For this problem, we are asked to make 4-bowls of three different sizes: small (1.5-2.5 lbs), medium (2.5-3.5 lbs), and large (3.5-4.5 lbs). I'm halfway done these bowls.
I have also adopted my trademark name into my artwork as well: 'thechristybel'. So, if you end up seeing that name in some art stores...it all started here, folks!

Also, we are being asked to complete 3/4 forms too: these are like altered forms with a choked neck at the top. As you can see, I have not completed those yet. Patience, young grasshopper!

More photos to come, everyone!
TheChristyBel

No comments:

Post a Comment