Thursday, November 6, 2014

Getting a Push on My Plan B - Art & Science Integration

My Satellite Image: I Think I Have Vegetated Mountains!
Using a Lens View Finder, I've Narrowed Down My Design
Advanced Topics in Pedagogy course has begun our Art and Science Integration unit. This unit is really fun. The Science Methods students (my class) will work in collaboration with the Art Methods students in an art project.  How perfect is this activity? Completely perfect for what I wanted to focus my Masters' Plan B on.

I'd like to thank Professor Dr. Kate Welsh for informing me of this course and connecting me with Dr. Andrea Burrows. Being able to work with her about letting me take this course and to also use this activity in conjunction with my Plan B is incredibly awesome! I'm already conducting research. So I feel I am definitely ahead of this whole Plan B thing! I'll get into my Plan B and that research later...

But back to Science and Art: today, we learned about the scope of this project: silk batik painting with a scientific focus. We were introduced to satellite imagery. We learned that satellite images are able to give us interesting perspectives of a landscape based on the reflected light off objects and the landscape. So for example, plants absorb red light and so that is the color you would see through a satellite image.
My Final Piece

We were given photos of satellite images that were taken of the geographic landscape. By choosing a satellite image and using a view-finder lens, we were to choose a specific area in the photograph to focus our silk batik painting on.

Then we were taught how to paint on silk! So cool! You first create a design plan and outline your images on the silk with this plastic resin. After it dries you are able to apply paint. You have to mix colors in order to make new ones (using the information you gained from your art methods' group members. Along with painting, you can use salt, vinegar, and alcohol to create different textures and designs in the paint.

What a fun project. Hopefully this can be a great addition to my Plan B!

TheChristyBel


Woah!

No comments:

Post a Comment