Monday, November 24, 2014

Ceramics II: Last Problem of the Semester - Composites

For the last problem of the semester, we were assigned to construct a composite piece. A composite piece is made of constructing pieces out of several thrown pieces or sections. A composite can also be called a sectional piece. We were asked to design 5-6 ideas that consisted of at least 4-thrown pieces. In the end, we would only construct one composite. The composite needed to be at least 15-inches in height.

I decided to continue my nature-theme in my art and decided to construct a tree out of an 3/4 altered form (where the cylinder closes at the top - resembling a cone), two bowls put together to resemble a globe/world/Earth, and to present the entire piece on a plate. This took two attempts to construct.

My first 'draft' did not come out well and resulted in a lop-sided globe! So, another 6-hours later, I threw more pieces and they came out a lot better when I started attaching them to each other. It's a good thing, Margaret says to throw more bowls that you need...insurance!

But after throwing the new pieces, I constructed the main profile in the studio: two bowls as the globe and the cone. I also extruded a bunch of clay rods to break apart and morph them into branches. I then decided to take the pieces home and assemble in the courtesy of a calm environment. This really meaning: I like to do art in PJs or just not wear pants at all! Haha.

Let me tell you, placing branches on the cone on top of the globe was really challenging. I had to use an assortment of chairs and household objects to help hold up all the branches while they dried onto the bigger clay body. I was literally sitting on the floor (with no pants on) and using my hair dryer to dry the branches so they can become more sturdy to hold on its own. After a night and all afternoon of drying, I finally grew the courage and faith to let the piece stand on its own...and it succeeded! The next test: drive it back to the ceramics studio...pray to the heavens above (right about now)!

 I carefully picked it up and placed it into one of my moving boxes. Drove about 2-miles an hour all the way to the studio, which is across town from my apartment. Slowly walked it through the doorway and into the studio. Challenge accepted. Second challenge: attach the bottom plate! That took me holding up the tree while my friend, Aaron, got on the floor and scraped and etched into the bottom for us to score and slip the two pieces together! Second Challenge Accepted! Third Challenge: Survive the night without anything holding it up! After wrapping it in a plastic drape cloth, I came back the next morning for class to see it had survived! I showed Margaret (our teacher), who was super pleased, and I added the last touch to the piece: the carving of the world on the globe part. It also was waxed with the cold wax resist to help with the drying of the branches. Now, it currently rests on the finished shelf ready to bisque-fired!

Cross your fingers it survives!
Don't worry, I'll keep ya posted!

TheChristyBel

No comments:

Post a Comment