Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Wilderness EMT Scenario Victim

For the past month, Teton Science Schools has hosted the NOLS WMI Wilderness EMT course on the Kelly Campus.  So it's been a little busy and full of people.  Not to mention, the course was mostly men as well, so it was really nice seeing lots of handsome faces every day! Haha.

Another wonderful thing was that, Tom, one of my friends I met during Wildrness First Responder, is taking the course! So it was great having him back on campus again!

Tom & I
From WFR to WEMT!
Towards the end of their month, some of the TSS graduates were able to volunteer for the WEMTs in their night mock rescue. Very cool! We had victims that had survived a plane accident that had crashed into the sage flats.

A bunch of the grads had injuries including: diabetes, pregnancy issues, open wounds, spinal injuries, mental instability, dislodged objects, and burns.  I had burns on my chest and body with some respiratory problems.

WEMT Night Rescue Scenario - Burn & Respiratory Victim

It was a very cool experience. However, at times I was hard to be serious since my friend Tom was my rescuer. But he and his teammate did a great job taking care of me.

Being in the safe flats, in the snow, was not fun at all. It was so cold. At first I was pretending to shiver, but as the night progressed during the rescue and as I lay there being worked on in the snow, I began to actually get cold and began to shiver uncontrollably! So cold! But my rescuers did a great job keeping my feet warm, giving hot water bottles, placing me in a sleeping bag, and working fast to evacuate me out.

Look at those burns!

After the rescue, the patients were able to give feedback and thank our rescuers. Very fun and a great experience. Also it was great to listen in on the information as a review from what we learned during WFR. Not to mention a $20 gift certicate to the NOLS store! Boom!

I surivived and I'm fine!
TheChristyBel

No comments:

Post a Comment