Sunday, December 1, 2013

A Vail Thanksgiving

So, as you all know, I decided to go to Vail, Colorado for the Thanksgiving Holiday Break with one of my fellow grads from TSS, Mandy.  We had a blast in this ski-town!  Mandy was able to ski her heart out all week.  I did partake in skiing a few times during the seven days we were in Vail, but I was also able to do some sight-seeing, relaxing at the library, and enjoy being a tourist.

The town of Vail is really pretty.  In the downtown area, there are a lot of resorts and hotels intermingled at the foot of the slopes, not to mention many top brand boutiques and shops.  I could not help but take photos of the buildings!  Also, this town is pretty on the pricey side.  Vail is a top ski town and attracts many top skiers and international folk, and well, people that have a lot of money.  Phil was telling me that an average family of four pay on average $22,000, I believe per week on a vacation here.  I was shocked!  I guess after thinking about it, that includes ski passes, lessons, equipment rentals, hotel rooms, food, and the list I bet goes on!  But other than the top prices, the quality of life, scene, and recreation is top-notch and worth every penny.

Not only was this an apartment complex, but there was a skating rink!
I love the cobbly-stoned walkway streets!
Very pretty
Interesting Art!
Skating Rink!
I loved this nature-scape gate!  Want!
Another skating rink!
Thanksgiving was definitely different from my family Thanksgiving events.  Mostly because mine are spent with my family and relatives, where as this Vail Thanksgiving was a family of wonderful friends.  A huge potluck was held at Mandy's boyfriend's house, where everyone pitched in a brought a dish to share.  By the peak of the festivities, Mandy had counted about 30 people eating dinner with all of us!  It was crazy!  Very fun!

Mandy's 'Happy Chicken Egg' Chocolate Chip Cookies
Mandy decided to help prepare chocolate chip cookies and vegan gravy.  By the time it was my turn to prepare something, everyone was already bringing a dish, so I helped Mandy prep her food and pitched it for dinner supplies and ingredients for the boys in the main foods they were preparing for the dinner.

Thanksgiving Morning: Nothing Like Having Some Lox & Shmear!
Thanksgiving morning, Mandy and the crew decided to go skiing, so I went to one of the cafe's in town and had some a coastal fixing of salmon and shmear!  I am so missing oceanic food...haha. Cannot wait to go home for some sushi and fish! haha.

Traditional Knitting on Thanksgiving
When we all got back to the house to start preparing for the festivities, I pulled out my knitting and continued to finish a scarf on the new circular needles I purchased.  Tried on the new basket weave stitching, and let me tell you, I finished it and it looks awesome!

Shot-Ski!
That night I partook in my first 'shot-ski!'  This was an intense shot!  Basically, there are seven shot glasses on a ski and you all have to take the shot all at the same time!  So crazy!

Lots of Food!
The food was really delicious!  There was so much food!  We definitely had a lot of food left over as well.  The menu consisted of: a roasted turkey, a bar-be-que chicken, a fried chicken, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potato fries, lots of awesome salad, sweet potato marshmallow dish, green beans, asparagus, corn bread, rolls, and gravys.  Delicious!

And Turkey!
So for a Thanksgiving away from home, was pretty awesome.  Although I did miss being at home, doing the traditional dinner with my family, trying something new was a great change for me.  I had a blast with a huge group of awesome people!

East Coast Represent: Dewey Beach in Bart & Yetti's Bar, Vail CO!
Thanksgiving in Vail was awesome!
Only three more weeks of class then I get to come home for the holidays!  Pretty Excited!

Stepping Foot on the East Coast in 19 days!
TheChristyBel

No comments:

Post a Comment