Saturday, December 7, 2013

First Time: Cross Country Skiing

On Saturday afternoon, a few of the TSS Grads and I decided to go on a cross-country ski!  Mary Beth and her husband, Eddie, and I had never cross-country skied before, so I asked Hazel and Joe if they would not mind showing us the ropes!  I mean, I am going to have to start teaching my students to cross country ski, so I might as well get a head start on it!

So after lunch, we all went to the resource room, tried some boots on, grabbed the skis, and headed into the snow!  We learned that step-glide technique!  It was like you were skating on the snow!  It was so cool.  Not going to lie, I was hooked as I connected my first ski to my boot...and then maybe after my first fall! haha!

My Cross-Country Skiiing Bunnies!
We decided to travel along the Teton Crest Trail and around the Kelly Campus.  The trails around here are pretty easy to intermediate and it was great to get back on them since I was not hiking at all during the fall on campus.  Plus, testing out the skis on our turf was pretty comfortable as well.

Snowing in the Tetons!
The weather was pretty perfect, although the temperatures are still in the single digits to below freezing, there was little to no wind when we were trekking along.

Group Selfie!
I am so glad I got to travel with some other beginners!  Not that I care if I fall in public, but it was nice to learn with some friends!  Hazel and Joe were excellent teachers!  We all laughed, smiled, and cheered when we fell and got back up.  Great positive attitudes!

Falling Action!
 
Video Credit to Eddie Cox

 
Video Credit to Eddie Cox

Posing for some group shots on our great afternoon adventure!

This sort of resembles the Captain Morgan ad....weird.
XC Skiing!
Great TSS Grad Family Outing!
She's Doing It!
It's really surprising me that I am enjoying most of the winter sports and activities out here.  I guess not being able to do them, really inspires me to try them and want to keep up with them.   I really did enjoy my first time cross-country skiing and am really tempted to eventually get my own set of xc skis as well!

Eventually!  Luckily I get to borrow TSS' for the whole year!

Shredding the Gnar!
TheChristyBel

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you all had lots of fun! :) Guess what, we got almost a foot of snow back here yesterday! With more on the way tomorrow! Me, my brothers, and the other neighborhood kids are having so much fun. The grownups, not so much... ;)

    ReplyDelete