Monday, April 4, 2016

Little Blue Hates Winter

You would think, not being in the mountains of the west, we would be done with snow in April. Right? Wouldn't you think that? Well turns out, even though I am back east, I am still in the mountains, and the mountains still get snow at times, even in April. Well, it snowed pretty lightly while I was at work this morning. As my workday continued, the snow continued to fall and it started to get heavier. If you know my car, Little Blue, well, she is just not a snow bunny. So, I thought it would be a good idea to leave work early and get home before it starts getting even heavier. Little did I know, that is not the best idea. Wait until the work day is over and stay at work until the plow comes (especially when you live on a hill).

Yes, I think you can tell where this is going. So I left work. All was fine until I was on the LAST stretch before home. Living at the bottom of a hill, you need to travel down before you get home. And there are two ways to get to our house...either way, you must travel on a hill...

As I prepped myself to go slow down the hill, Little Blue lost traction and began to slide. Even trying to turn the wheels opposite would not have helped. She slid and aimed for a ditch. Luckily, I was slid pretty much right next to a house, walked up, and called for a tow.

It took about an hour or so to get the tow to the site, rigged up, and back to my house. After examining the car, it looked like there was not a lot of damage, just a lot of mud, and a bunch of pieces to the cosmetic bumper. But nothing else...however, when you turned the engine on, it was the loudest roar I had ever heard come from Little Blue. And then, in that moment, I knew...I knew Little Blue's life would change and I knew...it was time to get a new car (in the near future).

When we took the car to our repair shop, they said there was almost $1,000 worth of damage and a long line of close-observing and maintenance to follow. With that, I finally bit my lip and began looking at new cars. Oh, the joys of being an adult, but at the same time, I am finally going to be looking for a car that I really want and feel meets the needs for my lifestyle...so, to be continued!

TheChristyBel

No comments:

Post a Comment