Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Fires on the Ridge

Now that I have my new wheels, I wanted to take them for a spin on some of the Minnewaska State Park carriage roads (also, because I got my season's pass and wanted to start using it). However, when I got to the gatehouse, they turned me around to go home. Apparently there was a fire on the southern end of the Ridge and in Minnewaska State Park. By the time I got back home, I could see how large this fire was getting. I think officials were saying more than 2,000 - 3,000 acres of Minnewaska State Park and Sam's Point Preserve had been burned over the course of several days. Feel free to check out some information here. Even though this area is used to natural fires coming through and over the Ridge, this particular fire was large because there was a lot of available downed fuel. Unfortunately, officials are believing this fire was no natural fire or prescribed burn, it was a wildfire from a cigarette butt. How sad is that?!? But with the fires getting out of hand, the parks were calling all firemen and our Preserve Rangers to help fight this fire. Below are some images our Chief Ranger, Andrew Bajardi took of the fire.

TheChristyBel

Day 2 of the Fire While I was Biking on the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail

 

All photos except for the first one were taken by Andrew Bajardi.

No comments:

Post a Comment