Friday, July 18, 2014

An Artist's Statement By TheChristyBel

The Creative Ways of the Christy Bel

For the final project for our Expressions in Nature & Art summer program, we have assigned each student to provide a portfolio of their best work and a written interpretation of their own 'artist's fingerprint.' Here is my portfolio. Enjoy.

Ever since I was a young child, I have found three passions that I have comfortably connected with that served as an escape from the realities of the real world – dance, art, and nature. I draw and dance to capture moments of time I want to remember, to give myself brain breaks, to find ways to meet new people, and to release emotion – without them in my life, I would feel bottled up. I consider myself as a visual artist that can capture moments and things that I see, but also can feel an emotion and mold it into my own movement and interpretation.  Throughout my life, I have been able to incorporate these passions into my every day life.


Since the age of five years old, I have found that being able to express yourself with your body and music is such a healthy activity not just for your body, but your soul. Being able to perform on a floor, allow the music to carry you away into oblivion, and to intertwine a creative collaboration with movement and tossing of flags and sabres was a way for me to connect to my community. Having the honor to dance with a group of twenty or more other talented performers helped me share my love for dance and guard not only with myself, but also with others who shared the same passion. Performing in front of thousands of people gave you a rewarding rush, but also gave you the opportunity to connect with your audience as you performed to them – that was the most rewarding experience any performer could have.  As I performed on the floor, being able to share a moment in a show with one audience member, even if it was just a second of locking eyes, was a moment of connectedness and joy that is truly priceless gift you can give as a dancer.


2011 Alter Ego - Lux AEterna

                  My second piece reflects my understanding of detail in the natural world. I sketch and draw to understand concepts, details, and qualitative characteristics in my surroundings. Considering myself as a field naturalist and inspired by other naturalists such as the Muries, E.O. Wilson, John Muir Laws, and David Allen Sibley, I have been able to understand the place and community by the observations I see and capture of the natural history that reside there. When I needed some quiet time or a place to hear myself think, I would resort to the window of my cabin. There, I was able to sit, relax, and view what ever visited my window. In this piece, these were birds I had observed outside my cabin window throughout the winter and spring here on the Kelly Campus. Being able to sit and draw a bird – from the type of beak, feather color patterns to tail shape helps me understand the types of birds that are able to thrive in a particular community and how they adapt to a place. Recording every detail observed through cross-hatching, stippling, and shading, it helps me get a thorough idea of the local flora and fauna through texture, depth, and proportion, as well as how the animals differed from other parts of the country and world.

Kelly Campus Wyoming Birds Outside My Cabin Window 

                  The last piece I am sharing is my Advanced Elements of Field Ecology Course Design Field Notebook. I believe that not all art is a framed picture or photograph, a song or a poem. It can be anything, as long as the artist is proud of the time, dedication, and work they put into creating it. My field notebook is one of my top pieces of artwork I have created while out here. Not only are my field sketches from field days enclosed amongst the pages, but notes, thoughts, and ideas area captured. This is a synthesis of my learning as a field naturalist here in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem – I have made connections of the communities that thrive here and the natural flora and fauna that can live here.
Pages From Inside My AEFECD Notebook
Pages From Inside My AEFECD Notebook
Hope You Enjoyed.
TheChristyBel

1 comment: