Saturday, July 26, 2014

A Day Outside - Climbing Blacktail Butte

Today was the first day in a little more than three weeks, where I was able to sleep in, embrace the outdoors, and not worry about school or teaching! With yesterday being many of the grad students' last day with their summer capstone program, today was the first day that I could dedicate the entire day to ME! So can you guess what I did?!?! 

Well, one, I slept in until like 9:00am (you may think this is early, but since I've been getting up at 6:45am the past three weeks, 9:00am is a great sleeping in achievement). Then it was about time I embraced the outdoors - without students! So many options: I wanted to hike Specimen Ridge, but that fell through based on scheduling of things (this is postponed for mid-August). Then there was this offer to hike and climb up the Middle Teton, but that also fell through. Then it was decided to that the today was the day to finally start using my climbing gear to the test and go a little smaller than the Middle - Blacktail Butte!

Not going to lie, I enjoy and prefer bouldering over top-rope and lead climbing since I am not used to those two activities on the rock, but overall, had a really great time learning something new. Climbing up onto the rock was not the challenging part - it was the confidence and trust of being belayed down. Not quite sure why, but all these scary thoughts of the rope giving out or my knots coming undone - really freak me out and give me so much hesitation to actually lean back into my harness and let someone lower me down...But, I did it - up and down the Lower Blacktail Butte wall! Andafter a few times of getting used to the rock and being belayed down, my worries are slowly declining. It will take some time, but I have a feeling I'm going to like this activity! 

Today was amazing! Being able to sleep in, play outside, and participate in activities on your own time was beyond anything I could ask for after straight teaching for three-weeks! Literally - the best day ever! Enjoy some photos that were captured!

TheChristyBel

Marc & I at the Top of the Upper Blacktail Butte!
Photo Credit to Marc Sweet
Of Course There Was a Summit Pose Involved!
Photo Credit to Marc Sweet
A Well Deserved Lunch & Soak in the Sun at the Shores of Jenny Lake!
Photo Credit to Marc Sweet
Then the Evening was Topped with Home-Made Paleo Chocolate-Hazelnut Ice Cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment