Sunday, June 12, 2016

Windchime Upcycle

I went back to Delaware a few months ago and brought back the windchime centerpiece that my grandmother painted for me when I was a little girl. My grandfather helped cut the glass for her. Back in the day, he would also cut pipes he would get from work, rig them with chains, and together, would make windchimes. My grandmother would paint all sorts of things on the centerpiece glass - from plants, birds, whatever. She knew I loved cats and so for my windchime, I was getting a cat. We never did complete it into a chime. I just had the glass hanging in my room.

While I was home, I saw it hanging and after recent events of my grandfather, I decided to bring it up to New Paltz and complete the windchime. My friend, Wendy, had an old windchime lying around and gave it to me. So I spent the day painting the wood, restringing the pipes, and giving this windchime a second life.

Now I feel I have something from my grandfather (and my grandmother) up here with me. It's very comforting in this time of grieving.

TheChristyBel

The Old Chime
Time to Give it a Second Life
Removing the Strings
Our Backyard has some color now!
And memory of my Grandfather.

No comments:

Post a Comment