Saturday, June 11, 2016

Goodbye to Little Blue

I was introduced to a 2005 Kia Spectra in the summer of 2009 after getting into a car accident shortly after I graduated from the University of Delaware. This little sedan was not at all what I was expecting to drive as my first car. I originally wanted a car that could drive down crazy back roads, uneven terrain, and maybe having 4-wheel drive. Instead, I was introduced to Little Blue! This sporty, beachy, loud-colored car that just screams, "I am not an outdoorsy, rugged car!" But over the last 11 years, this car and I have gone through EVERYTHING together. Naming her, "Little Blue," she had become my reliable, loyal, trustworthy friend. Going through job transitions, break ups, listening to me talk to myself over lists, scenarios, venting, getting me to and from competitions and Winter Guard tours, and then safely getting me through the extreme elements of Wyoming and back to the east coast. Little Blue, you were there for everything. 

Thank you for 11-years of a great friendship, Little Blue!
This past spring, the Shawangunks had a late snow storm in April. I decided to drive home early from work on a snowy afternoon, not realizing, "maybe I should leave early before more snow comes down" and not, "maybe I should wait until the roads are re-plowed before I go home." So I left early from work. Marc and I live at the bottom of a hill and we need to drive down a hill (either way) to get to our house. So as I started to drive down slowly, I started to swerve, and I skidded off the road.

Saying Goodbye to a Dear Friend!
And a Delaware Driver's License & Plate!
The result of this minor accident, there was a lot of scraped and ripped damage on the undercarriage of Little Blue. She roared whenever I would turn on the car, her exhaust needed repair, and her alignment needed some adjusting. 

With all the money that I would have invested to put into Little Blue to make her better, I decided that it was time. It was time for a new car purchase. I was already thinking that a new car purchase was in my cards in the upcoming months, but this accident was definitely a catalyst for the new car. 

After doing some research and keeping my career and recreational lifestyle expectations in mind, I decided to join the Subaru family. We explored around used and revamped cars and were not satisfied on what we were finding. Then I started to look at new cars. After getting advice from one of my co-workers, we visited the Ruge's Subaru in Rhinebeck, NY. Even my mom suggested them from a friend that had purchased from them too! And we pretty much fell in love with this dealership. The person we worked with, Jenn, just made us feel comfortable and at home. She was super knowledgeable, honest about our questions, personal and gave use her advice, and even jumped in the car with us while we got to test drive.

After a week of working with them, I decided this was it! And after my parents came up and allowed me to trade in Little Blue, I was able to pick out a beautiful, scarlet-colored Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium! She is just so wonderful, a level up from the standard model, this new car comes with a sunroof, all-weather package (heated seats, de-icing windshield and mirrors, and all-weather tires). She also came with all weather mats, the mud-proof trunk mat, and trunk cover. 

Signing Away!
Adulting!
Driving her home, I felt instantly safer and much more in control driving. There is still no name (still in a first-date phase), but let me introduce you to my new car!

TheChristyBel

I did an adult thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment