Sunday, October 13, 2013

Moose on the Loose on Campus

Look Who Showed Up to Breakfast This Morning?
This blog entry is for you, Luke.  You would have loved today here on the Kelly Campus.  Your favorite animal of all time came to visit us today!  So I hope you can live these moments through these next photos and videos!  All I know is, that this just means, you have to come back and visit so you can experience this for yourself!

Anyways, you would think that today was going to be an ordinary Sunday back on the Kelly Campus.  It's nice being on the Outreach Team and travel everywhere, but when you are gone all week, it is nice to wake up in your own bed, in your own cabin, and enjoy what you have in your own backyard.  This morning, Mandy, Joe, Dani, and I met very early (around 7:30am) to work on our Community Ecology's Research Project Proposal.  Sitting in the conference room all working on the proposal in Google Docs, Joe was trying to explain our methods to the rest of us, and was interrupted mid-sentence to a female beauty walking in front of the main lodge!

Momma Cow Moose and Her Baby!
All of a sudden we hear, "Oh, look! A Moose!"  And of course I spring up to the window!  Low and behold we come to see a cow moose and her young trotting a morning stroll in front of the dining and main lodges.  We quietly go onto the porch to observe the momma stopping, literally in front of us at some of the trees on the front side of the dining lodge.

Breakfast Time!
Seeing her browse on the willows and shrubs was really cool to see up close!  She can literally strip off all the leaves of a branch in seconds!  What a great 30-minute distraction from our morning work-session!

She was so beautiful!
Her baby was a little skiddish.  I accidentally laughed a little too loud, and of course, the baby went running away.  But Momma Moose just kept eating the vegetation.  So after realizing there was no danger, the young came back and had some breakfast with mom.  Adorable!

Family Breakfast Time!
Seeing the moose eat was really cool to watch!  I am still amazed on how fast they can strip off leaves!

You Know...Just Eating all the Leaves on this Tree. NBD.


Enjoy the video of Momma Moose Browsing and Nipping the Tip of the Branches!

Joe Got Some One-On-One Time with Momma Moose!
After we got our proposal finished and turned in, I decided to go back to my cabin for some relaxing time before I got back into homework mode...and before I knew it, I had a visitor!

TheChristyBel Can't Come Out of Her Cabin...There's a Moose at Her Door!
Photo Credit to Mandy Redpath, fellow TSS Graduate Student.
And well, even though there is no one stopping me from breaking NPS regulations, I can assure you, I was abiding the rules and decided to stay in my cabin and wait for the beautiful creature to leave.  I mean, she was very cute and all, and OF COURSE ALL I WANT TO DO IS NUZZLE HER FACE!  But to go up against a several hundred pound moose with her young in the area...that is a 'No Go' on cuddling!

...'Come to My Window!'...
It was such a treat to sit at my desk and see her just eating and browsing at the Wild Rose!  It really freaked me out how big she really is, as well!  Her hoof alone is the size of my hand, if not bigger!  Not to mention her head is probably the size of my upper body to some extent!

Just Chowing Down at the Vegetation!
She Left No Trace...Except These!
Her Hooves Were the Size of My Hand!
What a Day...Full of Moose Visits!  My Life is Now Complete! ... Well, I mean, once I can pet one, then my life is complete.  But it's a great start!  Haha.  Enjoy all the photos and videos.  Believe me, I have more, but I had to limit myself to under 20 for this blog entry...bah!


Next Blog Update: Outreach Team - Week Two: Casper!

Moose!
TheChristyBel
My Life it Complete...Up Close and Personal With Moose!

No comments:

Post a Comment