Friday, October 25, 2013

A New Fish Friend

Let me back track: so for a few weeks now, Joe and I have been talking about how I really want a pet for my cabin.  Obviously, I am not allowed to have my one true wish, a cat...so a fish may be the next best thing.



So, for years now, people have come to the Kelly Warm Springs and have dumped their aquarium fish in this warm spring.  The environment is perfect for them: warm temperature water, plenty of food (so much bacteria live in this water), and it is a huge spring.

TheChristyBel Risking Her Life in the Fecal Infested Warm Spring!
Photo Credit to Hazel Stark, Fellow TSS Graduate Student
Joe had this great idea that if I found a container to keep it in, we would go to the warm spring and get one! Done!

So I bought a fish bowl, gravel, and some food at the Walmart in Laramie and when we got back...well, it was just up to me to pick out a fish!

Let me tell you first off about this warm spring!  It is soooooo gross!  It is not a hot spring, where things and bacteria can be killed off due to high temperatures, so bacteria will thrive here.  Meaning, it is not the best spring to go swimming in...but people do anyway!  So nasty!  Apparently there is high amounts of E-coli and Fecal bacteria in it...not surprised!

But anyways, so after dinner on Friday night a whole group of us went to the warm spring after dinner and tried to catch Christy a fish!

Heather, Documenting this Moment
Photo Credit to Hazel Stark, Fellow TSS Graduate Student
It was a big party: Leah, Em-J, Joe, Charlie, Hazel, Heather, and I all piled into a car and drove to the warm spring.  Joe and Charlie were determined to catch the fish with a fishing rod.  I on the other hand, grabbed my Muk Boots, my extremely little net, and went into the warm spring.  It smelled soooooo bad - like poop!

Joe, Ready to Catch a Big One for My Fish Bowl!
Photo Credit to Hazel Stark, Fellow TSS Graduate Student
A Little Scary that 'Green' is the True Color of the Kelly Warm Spring.
Photo Credit to Hazel Stark, Fellow TSS Graduate Student
After an hour of trying to catch with a net or with a rod, the person who caught the fish, was Christy, herself, by just placing the bowl in the water and scooting the fish into the bowl!  So funny!

Joe and Charlie were pretty disappointed they did not catch the fish.  But I think Joe and Charlie want to try and catch me a goldfish to have my little black stripey a friend!

Can We Talk About How Christy Caught the Fish With a FishBowl
While Joe & Charlie Had Fishing Rods and Didn't Catch Anything....Wow!
Photo Credit to Hazel Stark, Fellow TSS Graduate Student
Hopefully I'll have a fishy friend for my fishy friend soon!  Until then, enjoy some videos and photos of my fish adventure!

Xoxo,
TheChristyBel

Meet My New Cabin Friend: My Kelly Warm Springs Fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment