Saturday, May 6, 2017

The Rockettes Rocked the Ridge

My Race Bib Number
Today, I ran/hiked 13.1-miles of 50-miles with the Rockettes at Rock the Ridge! I am beyond proud of my teammates, three other wonderful ladies from the Preserve that totally kicked ass in the rain! Yes, we hiked and ran this race in cold, cloudy, rainy conditions. Gretchen, our Director of Communications, took on the 1st leg from the Testimonial Gateway to Spring Farm; Amanda, our Social Media Associate, relieved Gretchen and rocked it through Spring Farm, up to Sky Top, and met me to the southern part of the Preserve at Lyons Road; I hiked and ran the third leg through Minnewaska State Park & Preserve up to the highest part of the race at Castle Point and back down to Lyons Road; Megan, our anchor led us back to the Testimonial Gateway. We started at 6:00 AM and came in at 7:43 PM and a finishing time of 13-hours and 34-minutes. Super proud of these ladies!

I am not going to lie, but I was a little hesitant about joining the team as I am not at all a racer of any sort. But to be on a team that is not in it to race, but to support the Preserve at any pace, was very comforting. I had trained for this race by hiking my leg in all elements (rain, snow/ice on the ground, cloudy days, and sunny days). I usually finished my leg in 4-hours just hiking. So when I got to the race, I gave myself about 5-hours to complete. To finish my leg in 3-hours was pretty awesome! And the best part: my knees felt great! I taped them and stretched them before and after the race. Super proud of them for killin' it in the race! I know this is too early to determine, but I would not mind doing this again next year...maybe even doing two legs...

I say that now...
...we'll see.

TheChristyBel
The Pass Off From Leg 2 to Leg 3
Overlooking Gertrude's Nose as I hiked to Castle Point
After Passing Castle Point - Passed Lake Awosting
Passed Lake Minnewaska for the Second Time - about 2+ miles to go!
Last Landmark Before the Switch to Leg 4, Awosting Falls
The Rockettes' Times!
Celebrating with a Hot Toddy!
Medals with the Rockettes
(From Left to Right: Me, Gretchen, Amanda, and Megan)

No comments:

Post a Comment