Monday, May 15, 2017

Phenology: Pink Lady Slippers

Columbine in Full Bloom on Cedar Drive
Spring means flowers blooming and everything waking up. Mid-May around the Shawangunk Ridge means Pink Lady Slippers coming into bloom. I had such a wonderful time searching for these pretties last year, that I definitely wanted to search for the first bloom again this year. So up the Northeast Trail I went at Spring Farm. As I hiked northeast, I started to see the leaves but no flowers. I was getting a little discouraged as the weather has been super nice and would have totally began to wake them up. As I continued farther down the trail, I did find some that were opening, but not at all pink. As I was determined to search more, I continued down the trail and even stopped in certain places where I had seen them last year and looked harder. And sure enough, found some PINK lovelies in full bloom! May 15 - First Pink Lady Slipper in bloom, according to the DSRC, who still did not have them down on the First Emergence 2017 Calendar. Boom! I just absolutely love these orchids, they are just super pretty! Enjoy some pictures below!

TheChristyBel

Pink Lady Slipper Still Lacking the PINK
First Pink Lady Slipper of the Season!
This Year's Flower and Last Year's Seed Pod!

No comments:

Post a Comment