Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Nerding Out on Insects

Well, can you believe it...let me just say that I have about 4 more months left with the Teton Science Schools Graduate Program. I know, crazy.  And with that announcement, the graduates have started our last class - Advanced Elements of Field Ecology Course Design.  Besides having three more weeks of a spring teaching practicum, this 5-week course is pretty awesome.  It includes three weeks of field ecology (including a week of backpacking/camping in Yellowstone) and two weeks that focus on course design and curriculum.  

Last week, we finished one of the two weeks that encompass Course Design and Leadership.  This week we are getting more into the natural history of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem.  With this part, one of our big assignments is to keep a Field Journal that includes all of our field notes, journal entries, and field sketches.  Yes, sketches!  So I guess you know what that means for TheChristyBel...I get to show off and include my drawings.  I bet you can tell I am super excited about this assignment. I get to draw!! yay!

Also, I am really thankful that I took the Delaware Nature Society's Naturalist Certification Course.  It really helped prep me on how to write field journal entries and keep really good notes on my observations.

Learning How to Identify & Prepare Insect Collections
Monday and Tuesday we learned about Insects.  I did not know there were that many orders for insects.  Very cool.  I think my favorite order were the Orthoptera or the Katydids, Crickets, and Mantids.  I just think it is really fascinating they can make sounds and music with the rubbing of their legs.  From clicks to songs each species of the Orthoptera order has a different 'voice.'

Sneak Preview of a Few Pages of My Field Journal
On Tuesday, we got to go out into the field and go more in depth with Stream Ecology with the Wyoming Stream Team Kits and Faculty.  This session went beyond the water quality testing that we had done and taught in the fall.  This session included exploration of the biodiversity of the streams by examining the macroinvertebrates or insect aquatic larvae in a stream.

Biggest Crane Fly Larva Ever!
This was really fun to do, plus it was a beautiful day to be outside instead of in the classroom.  Macroinvertebrates that are found in the water will consist of snails, leeches, worms, and insect larvae.  Many of the adult insects you may know.  Bet you did not know that some insects will spend part of their life cycle in the water?!? Mind blown, I know!  Dragonflies, Stoneflies, Caddisflies, Mayflies, Crane Flies, and the list goes on to name a few.

Stoneflies and Mayflies can be difficult to identify when they both have 2 tails.
Normally Mayflies will have 3 Tails and Stoneflies have 2 tails....but....
Mayflies Have 'Hairy Butts' - Their Gills Are On Their Abdomens
Stoneflies Have 'Hairy Armpits' - Gills At Their Armpits!
Pretty thankful I also taught a whole bunch of Stream Ecology programs with the Delaware Nature Society and many Stream Explorations with Teton Science Schools Outreach Program in the Fall.  So examining macros was pretty easy, comfortable, and a great review.

So Form of Borer Found in the Lab's Insect Collection Under the Microscope
Photo Credit To Jordan Robinson, Fellow Teton Science Schools Graduate Student
Not only did we find a whole bunch of macros in the stream that we explored in town, but Joe and Charlie brought their rods and caught a really cool fish, a Sculpin!  Never saw one of those before.  It had spines on its pectoral fins and dorsal fins!  So crazy!  Of course I had to take a photo of one!

Sculpin Found at Karns Meadow Stream
Had Fun in the Sun & Stream
So Many Insects, So Little Time,
TheChristyBel


No comments:

Post a Comment