Saturday, March 29, 2014

Dream Team Memorial For Jim

Being on this Forever West Adventure has been such a blessing to experience a new place, new opportunities, and to upgrade my life.  However, being away from my family, friends, and a life I left back on the East coast has been a burden as well.  Not being able to see many of my loved ones whenever I want, not being able to see the little girls I used to babysit and nanny, hearing the progress and success about my brother's job, having my feet be immersed in the ocean and laying in the sun on the shore sands, and working with all the volunteers I left back in Delaware.  It has been really hard being so isolated from everyone from back home, especially when you are missing moments with family and close friends during times for healing the heart.

Back in October, I was saddened to hear that one of my volunteers, Jim, of my favorite volunteer groups had passed away. This past week, the group that he was a member of, the Dream Team, held a memorial ceremony for him and dedicated one of their projects to him and his family.  Being across the country made it really hard to heal after hearing of Jim's passing, but it makes it also challenging to not be there, in person, for people I care about during moments of being together with each other.

November 2011 - The Dream Team was awarded the Governor's Outsanding Volunteer Award
Left to Right: Jim, Eric, Kathy, Governor Markell, Tim, Hank, and Gordon
Jim, our honored friend on the left in the above photo, was a member of this wonderful group of volunteers I had the pleasure of working with when I was the Volunteer Coordinator for the Delaware Nature Society.  His dedication and support to this team was beyond remarkable.  Every Wednesday, this group of seven volunteers consisting of education guides, teacher naturalists, and trail management volunteers would construct numerous projects that benefitted the programming and visitors that the Delaware Nature Society served at many of their sites.  

Their first two projects were constructing two remarkable replicas of Lenape Longhouses on our Ashland Nature Center property which took more than two and a half years to complete from planning to finish.

A few weeks before I left for Wyoming, I was able to have one last goodbye with my favorite group!
Kathy is missing.
The team named themselves ‘the Dream Team’ and contributed more than 5,588 hours in all weather conditions to not only the two longhouses, but to more than 14 different projects at Ashland Nature Center, Coverdale Farm, and the DuPont Environmental Education Center when I was the Volunteer Coordinator. By having these beautifully constructed projects, like the longhouses, program participants and visitors are able to have authentic and realistic experiences and serve much larger groups. 

The Dream Team was awarded the Governor’s Outstanding Volunteer Award in 2011 in the Environment category and was presented their award in front of a ceremony with Governor Markell.  Jim was so proud and honored of the group's accomplishment.

Jim was by far such a determined and fearless leader and member of the group.  He would always show up prompt, ready to get to work, and always kept the group on track and focused!  His knowledge, experience, stories, and personality were beyond incredible talents and qualities that made him such a wonderful and involved member of the Dream Team!

Jim's Family
Photo Provided by Eric Roberson, Member of the DNS Dream Team
This morning, Eric, another member of the Dream Team, sent me an e-mail informing me of the Memorial for Jim and provided photos of the team and the Tribute.  They dedicated the Ashland Nature Center boardwalk that leads into the floodplain and marsh to Jim with a plaque in his honor.  It made me really homesick to not be there with the team, but very comforted that they kept in the loop of this.

Wishing I was able to be with the Dream Team and Honor Jim!
Photo Provided by Eric Roberson, Member of the DNS Dream Team
To be sent photos of Jim's Memorial was really touching and comforting to know that I was there in spirit to celebrate Jim's life.  Jim was a phenomenal volunteer, friend, and colleague to work alongside with at DNS. 

Individuals like Jim are the reason why I enjoyed working with DNS as a teacher naturalist, volunteer, staff, and a former volunteer coordinator.

Forever in my heart, Jim.
TheChristyBel

2 comments:

  1. Hey Christybel...that was beautifully put...Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, the quartzite rock that the plaque is mounted on was 'mined' in the forested area of Coverdale Farm after a 'Dream Team' search on afternoon.

    ReplyDelete