Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A New Year: New Resolutions

Being out in the Tetons has been a great experience so far: trying new things, being outdoors, living in a new place, teaching more! Every new opportunity and experience has been such a blessing, but lately, I have been feeling pretty nostalgic and thinking that there is something missing from my life and daily routine.

So for the start of a new year, I thought it was pretty appropriate to add some New Year's Resolutions into my year.  So, as of last Thursday, I enrolled in a few dance classes.  Dance was a huge part of my life, and well based on being in 'the middle of nowhere, Wyoming' the closest winterguard is well more than +10 hours away.  But taking a dance class just to get my body bending and moving in a familiar routine I think is something I need to put back into my life.  Dance and Guard were sanity escapes from the real world, life, work, whatever.  The Dancers' Workshop in Jackson is a really cool company.  They offer lots of classes from ballet, pointe, contemporary, Pilates, hip hop, and so much more.  Mary Beth, one of my fellow graduates, and I decided to take some dance classes together, so every Thursday, when we are not teaching, we are going to be taking a Dance Party workshop.  This is totally different from my normal classes and rehearsals.  It is a Power Hour of a core-body warm up, cardio, and learning a routine.  Not to mention the genre of dance is mostly hip hop, and that is a genre I am not at all used to.  So not only is this a great swing into a routine I am familiar with, but I decided to try to out a new type of dance. After my first class on Thursday night, I felt pretty rejuvenated: happy to be back in a studio and on the dance floor, but excited to try a new dance.

Joined Some Dance Classes at the Dancers' Workshop in Jackson.
Also, even though this is not something I was used to, I wanted to try a new hobby and get myself outside at least once a week outside of teaching.  Jess and Tootsie, two other graduates, told me about a January deal package over at the Targhee Ski Resort.  It was a 'Start Me Up' package: 3 lessons, free ski or snowboard gear rentals with those lessons, and day lift tickets when you take those lessons.  After your third lesson, the package turns into a Season's Pass over at Targhee.  I think it was totally worth the $267.  Over at the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, if I got the student discount, I would've paid $500+ and would have needed to find a friend or two to teach me, and paid more money for equipment rentals.  Plus, I hear Targhee is a better mountain for beginners to learn on.


Joined the Crowd & Bought a Season Pass
So Tootsie and I snowboarded all weekend.  So much fun!  I really like it!  I hate to say it, but I think I might like it more than skiing.  Not sure yet. I plan on doing both while I have this pass.  The pass will last me until August I think.  So, not only will I get to use this pass to ski and snowboard, but I can use it for hiking and biking too when the snow melts.  But yes, snowboarding was absolutely so much fun! I think I found it easier to learn than skiing.  Not sure.  But it was a pretty awesome experience learning and then going down the slope with Tootise working on s-curves.  Also, I really like the vibe that Targhee also has over there: mellow and laid-back.  I do not feel pressured or forced either.


Grar-Planking with Tootsie!
So a mixture of getting back into a routine of an old passion and then taking on and trying a new hobby is a great start to a new year.  The Animal Medicine Cards have also been a great touch to my mornings.  Instead of seeing my daily horoscope, I have been pulling an Animal Medicine Card.  These cards are used to understand improve one's connection to the Great Mystery and to all life.  Basically, it is a reconnection to mind, body, and spirit of personal power, strength, and understanding.  By pulling a card, or multiple cards, you can see how you are connecting to a specific animal and how those qualities of that Animal Medicine are relating to you and your daily life.  I also think it helps me understand how my attitude is towards something or someone and how I can reflect on how to approach and conquer.


Animal Medicine Cards!
So far, I think reconnecting with something I miss and love with a new hobby I am enjoying with a spiritual connection and focus is a pretty good start to a new year and the blessings that will unfold with time.  I can assure you more resolutions will come up throughout the year, but three is a good start.

To a New Year of New A New Life,
TheChristyBel

2 comments:

  1. Christy, I love your positive attitude and your zest for life. You are an inspiration. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better get back here and bring those skis. 12 inches of snow, wind chill tomorrow of -11, and they are cross country skiing at Coverdale...

    ReplyDelete