Thursday, November 7, 2013

Species of the Day: Moose

So on my way into Jackson, as I was not even 5 minutes onto the snowy road...I drove past this handsome guy!  No, I did not stop and ask for his number.  But I did stop and take his picture! Haha!

Handsome Eating the Bitterbrush in the Snowy Sage
Moose have been pretty common our in the sage, and well very close to campus, since the wintery season has come upon us.  When I drive into Kelly or Jackson, I can count as many as 5-15 moose along the sage and aspen communities along my drive (fortunately always within 5-minutes from the beginning of our campus driveway)!

During the winter, they will will switch from eating the willows to the bitterbrush.  It is also very fascinating to see the bulls.  Each set of paddles as their antlers are so different from the next.  Some are very well defined with sharp points to other are more paddle-like and have less spikes and more nubs.

Still very wonderful and lucky to see these creatures on a daily basis.  One day I hope to pet one...maybe. :)

Xoxo,
TheChristyBel

Mr. Handsome Bull Moose

No comments:

Post a Comment