Sunday, November 24, 2013

A First Time: Skiing

Never would I ever think that TheChristyBel would consider trying to ski.  I mean, through 18+ years of dance, there was never a thought that crossed my mind that I would put on a pair of skis and go down a mountain.  Until November 2013!  So crazy to think!

So for Thanksgiving Break, I did not venture back to the East Coast.  Although I am missing it terribly and so much right now, I think I did the right choice and decided to try and journey somewhere new.

A fellow TSS graduate, Mandy, invited me to visit her boyfriend and friends in Vail, Colorado.  Knowing this place is a huge ski town, I was mentally prepared and ready to at least TRY this winter sport that is such the craze out here in the west! SKIING!  Please, pray for me right now.

On Sunday morning, I grabbed my snow pants and jacket, a hat, gloves, and a discount coupon from Mandy's boyfriend and we went to the slope!  Incredibly thankful for the discount coupon for a lift ticket, borrowing one of her boyfriend's friend's boots and skis, and a generous-free ski lesson from her boyfriend, I was able to dish out 'pennies' compared to what a normal person would pay to get onto the mountain.  So incredibly grateful to try this sport out at a smaller fee than the usual.

Lionshead Vail, CO.
Yes, I skiied down this...not gracefully, but survived!
Not going to lie, I was really nervous...ok, I lied again, I was terrified!  I mean, sure there is a dancer in that body somewhere, but still I am incredibly clumsy, not balanced or coordinated to tackle on huge skis to a tiny ChristyBel.  Holy moly!

TheChristyBel Ready to Ride Up the Gondola and Get a Lesson.
Riding up the 7-minute gondola ride, I prepped my boots, my poles, and said a last-minute prayer!  Haha.

Traveling Up the Mountain!
Very cool way to travel up compared to the lift seats.
Mandy's boyfriend had me learn at first with one ski on, then alternate to the other, then with both to get the feel for the skis on the snow and the slightest slope.  Then it was time to try it on the 'bunny slope,' not to mention, without poles.  It was pretty fun actually!  Although incredibly scary and nerve-wrecking, I learned how to 'wedge, lift, turn, stomp' and of course the 'pizza, french fry' techniques.

Documented: First Time TheChristyBel is on Skis.
Never Would Have Dreamed This Day Would Come.
Going down the beginner, bunny slopes for half the day was perfect...I totally did not want to try anything remotely more challenging.  However, Mandy and Phil did have me go down the mountain on the green circle courses.  And well, it was not at all dancer-like graceful, and I may have toppled and run into the banks a few times, but I survived down the mountain.

Attempting to Use Poles Going Down the Mountain.
Incredibly Thankful for Two Patient Friends Helping Me Down.
Hope They Were Entertained By Me that Day!
My Learning Environment.
So they also let me try to work on what I had learned by myself.  So while they went down a few runs, I remained on the bunny hill trying to just get a hang of having skis on and working on turns.  My left turn is pretty solid....however, my right turn: not so much.  Still working on it!

Going Up the Ski Lift to Try Again!
Lots of People to Watch Out For...Aka, Me Not Run into Them!
Overall, even though I may have toppled, tumbled, twisted, and challenged my body to a new sport, I had a blast learning to ski!  I definitely am contemplating trying to find some used skis and boots to have when I go back to Jackson.  All smiles for the most part too!  Maybe I almost cried when going down the mountain, but overall, all smiles!  I definitely want to try to keep this up!

All Smiles Learning to Ski!
Danny, Robert, and I About to Ski Back to Eagles Nest
Thanks to Mandy and her boyfriend, I had a great time learning to ski and incredibly grateful for the help and connections!

Mandy & I Being Ski Bunnies!
Survived and Conquered...and not going to lie, kinda hooked!
TheChristyBel



1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had lots of fun! I love that last picture of you and Mandy. So cute :)

    ReplyDelete