Thursday, June 26, 2014

Teton eXplorations - Embracing the Beep

Teton Explorations!
These past 10-days have been incredibly wonderful - I love working with middle schoolers! These students were hilarious, crazy, engaged, challenging, and leaving me incredibly exhausted everyday. But, it was worth it. These 13 inspiring, talented, and all-around awesome students are the reason I want to be a teacher some day. Despite the constant reminding to take out all smellies from your backcountry tents or keeping them focused, Teton Explorations was such a wonderful program to teach in. Having 10 long days and nights with these students was really fun - getting chances to try out lessons on them (that were being used for Expressions), working with an out of comfort zone age group (not going to lie, after this program, I like them more than high schoolers!), and start out with a smaller program before getting ready for our core program - Expressions.

The students that made up Teton Explorations were a variety of open-enrollment middle schoolers from all over the country, including Baltimore all the way to California, and then some even from China! It was super cool to work with a variety of students geographically, but also from a variety of different cultures, backgrounds, and school systems. I love diversity and this program was diversity to it's finest (in the most positive of ways)!

Community Building - The Human Knot
Teaching everything and anything from communities on the Kelly Campus, to leadership and strengthening our program team, to canoeing, to a day trip to Yellowstone, to a few days 'embracing the beep' of mosquitos in the backcountry - these students received an educational, but extremely unforgettable experience here in the Tetons!

Overcoming Group Challenges
From the start when all the students were arriving, this group clicked instantly! The Baltimore boys arrived first - and were incredibly hilarious, open, and welcoming to the instructors and the other students. Friendships were created on the first 'hello' and communal soccer and card games included everyone as the welcome day progressed! It was beautiful to see that everyone got along so quickly and easily! I guess that's what happens when you're in middle school - the desire and constant urge for friendship just happens pretty fast and organically? At least, that is what I could tell.

Scientist vs. Naturalist
Every moment I shared with these students was the most unbelievable - constantly engaged, pushed through challenges, and strived to be better than the last moment. I was able to speak with several students one-on-one at times to hear their impressions and opinions of this program. It was remarkable to hear what they would tell you - from talking about how their parents sent them here for fun to I applied for a scholarship to be here because my family could not afford something like this for me. At times, it really broke my heart to hear things about not being able to afford this or that. But it made me want to make sure that they received the best experience while being here.

Exploring Places We've Never Been Before
Enjoying What is Faithful at Old Faithful in Yellowstone
Artists Point at the Grand Canyon in Yellowstone
Digging Deep into Scientific Research
Teton Explorations discovered how interconnected and similar each student and instructor was to each other. Through a bunch of leadership and community activities, as well as every experience we all shared together, this group of 13-students and 5-instructors got incredibly close over those 10-days.

Understanding Our Community
We Are All Connected
The backcountry trip was a whole other experience and level of closeness and community. It was also really empowering and an honor to hear that many of the students had never backpacked before! So, seeing them set up a tent or prepare meals on a whisperlite stove was beyond priceless. For many of the students, they thrived while being in the backcountry, despite the swarms of mosquitos that attacked us for 24-hours straight each day.

Lounging at the Top of 8015'!
These students took on challenges with open minds and then conquered them. To see many of them carry their heavy packs up ridges and in rain was really hard to watch, but to see their faces when they reached tops was totally worth it!

Absorbing Some Awesome Views
Backpacking with Steaze!
Let me say that the mosquitos were the worst in the backcountry - being covered in bug nets, rain gear, and any form of a barrier of clothing was the only way to relieve your mind and sanity about the swarms of blood-suckers around you. I know a few instructors, including myself, almost of did go mosquito crazy. But the students definitely pushed through and learned to 'embrace the beep' or should I say 'buzz.'

Embracing the Beep of Mosquitos
Enjoying the Outdoor World!
Not only did we teach our students about the natural world and the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, but we taught them about the awareness of self, others, and place. Yes, it got a little heavy every once and a while - but it was really cool to see these students get much closer than they were after every activity. For example, we did an 'Awareness Circle' led by Heather. This was one of my favorite activities for these students. They would open up to really personal prompts that reflected their home lives, their school lives, how they felt towards themselves, how they felt towards others and their other Teton Explorations peers, everything. There were times that I just wanted to cry or hug or even take home a student based on what I heard them admit to - like hearing about not enough money for food or how sad they feel when others bully them. But it made me also aware of myself and my surroundings, and how thankful I am for the things and opportunities I have been given. Although, at the same time, it was a great awareness of where my students were at too and how I could support them. (I hate to admit it, but I felt like a mom at times....scary, huh?!)

Being Aware of Self, Others, and Place
Finding the Wyoming Ground Fruit!
Grace & I as Twins on the Backcountry Trip!
My New Little Sister!
Making New Friends with Flowers
I do not think I can stress enough how wonderful these students were: they were not just accepting to their fellow Teton Explorations peers, but to the instructors as well. By the end of the program, I did not leave that program with 13-unforgettable students who I taught, but 13-individual friends!

Each and every one of these students from Teton Explorations are so talented, smart, inspiring, and strong! I was so proud of them from when they entered the program to where they ended and left us on June 25. I hope you all can see how wonderful and awesome these kids were through the photos on this blog entry and the videos taken from our Celebration of Learning Talent Show!

Enjoy!

TheChristyBel


Teton eXplorations A-capella Singing 'I'm Yours'

Molly's Celebration of Learning Creative Writing Excerpt About Her Scholarship Award
This Reading was Incredibly Powerful!

Grace's Celebration of Learning Poem - Incredibly Beautiful

My Baltimore Boys (Vincent, Tyree, & Deondre) and Carlo From Chicago!

No comments:

Post a Comment