Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Home at the Teton Science Schools

So Sunday was the day...a sad but exciting day.  I am not going to lie it was pretty emotional at times and I am not going to lie, I cried.  I mean, as much as I was excited to travel and FINALLY see the school I have been so excited about attending for the past year and a half, but I was really sad to leave two of my closest friends.

We woke up pretty early, maybe around 7-8:00am(ish), and we literally were FREEZING!  I mean, I was smart to wear some layers to bed with some new awesome Yellowstone-Moose socks and my new Sea To Summit Extreme Reactor liner, but Nate woke up shivering and cold!  Serves him right because he only wore like sweat pants, a t-shirt, no socks, and no liner.  But yes, it was pretty cold that night, probably in the 30s-40s range.  

Side Note: the temperature range here is crazy.  It can be like 30-40 degree F in the AM when you wake up, but by noon-late afternoon, it's in the 80s!  So crazy!

After making some hot coffee and oatmeal, we took a stroll to do a wonderful thing....SHOWER!  Hadn't done that in days!!! Maybe since Blue Mounds State Park?!?! I couldn't remember.  It was a pretty sweet deal in the Grand Teton National Park: $3.75 flat fee for as long of a shower as you wanted! BOOM!

Once we were so fresh and so clean, we took a walk to the visitor's center so Nate could get an idea of some hikes and things to do while he and Sean stayed in GTNP for a few more days.  After that, we took one last walk to the Jackson Lake, and typical Nate, even after getting clean, we jumped in the water for a cold swim.

Being a mermaid in Jackson Lake.
We got back to camp and helped clean up and pack me up to head to Jackson for the afternoon.  Drove about 45-50 minutes into Jackson around 12:30pm MST to make a visit to the Teton County Library.  I signed up for a Wyoming Library Card and finished up some loose ends in some health insurance claims and e-mails while Sean wrote up a resume for a potential job and Nate listened in on some calculus lectures.

Once it became about 2:15pm, the boys were getting pretty hungry, so we pulled into Downtown Jackson and started to scope out a lunch spot.  Had some lunch and walked around the town.  Totally had to stop and see the Elk Antler Arches!  Photo Opp!

Elk Antler Arches!
By the time we were kinda over the touristy-crowded town, we had about 2 hours to kill before I had to be at the Teton Science School for Wilderness First Responder check-in.  So we stopped by the Blacktail Butte turnoff (I think that is what it's called - don't judge me if I don't know, I have all year to get the roads and what not around here down like it's the back of my hand).

Look at this view!
Around 5:30pm we decided to head for the school so I could get a feel for where it was and to get a look of the campus!  Seeing the school was a great sign of relief - to finally 'be home' was a wonderful feeling.  It was one step closer to not living out of my car, it was the next step to grad school and me growing up and moving on to another place and opportunity, and an exciting moment just all together.  Waiting months and then 7 additional days of just getting here, this relief was well-needed.

Teton Science School - my new home, school, & journey!
Saying goodbye to Nate and Sean was pretty hard, although as much as being with them for 7 days was fun, I bet it was a relief for them as for me to separate for a break, but this break was a pretty lengthy and emotional one.  To say goodbye to someone you care about and love is such a hard thing to do, 6 hours across the continental divide seems like an end of the world thing and a terrible feeling that reminds me of the New Zealand period.  But for both of us to be embarking on our own journeys for grad school and to take this as an opportunity to grow, work on ourselves, focus on school, and live life independently, it will be a positive turn for and if and when we get to see each other again.  For now, it's time to just be Christy in the Tetons and live the way Christy wants to live.

Wilderness First Responder Update: So this course is from Monday, August 5 - Wednesday, August 14.  So I may not be updating as much within these next 10 days.  Sunday night I was able to meet one of the girls that was also in the graduate program with me, Jordan.  I was so thrilled and excited to have met 1. a new friend for WFR, but 2. someone I will be working and teaching with for the next year.  Plus, she was a TSS summer intern the year before so she was able to give me some info about the school and where everything was!

That night while everyone else that was staying at TSS was checking-in, Jordan and I went to Durnan's Bar in Moose for a drink with two previous TSS Graduates.  It was fun to speak with them who used to be in our shoes and two just to sit and relax with some new people.

Monday, the start of the WFR course was intense: learning about patient assessment and clearly obtaining data you need to figure out how to treat and assess an incident is full of lots of info and very intense.  But it was totally making me feel more confident about what was to come in the next months.  Also!!! I was able to meet 3 additional girls from the graduate program.  :) So excited to be meeting fellow graduate students!

Also!!! Another cool thing happened, the Graduate Program Coordinator told me that there was an opening in one of the log cabins!  And I was able to choose to live in my original assignment, Buck, above the Maintenance Building, or live in Cloudveil a small standard cabin.  Both are not directly in the 'Graduate Circle' but they both have my own private bathroom that's located across the driveway from my potential room(s) and in the dining lodge.  I think I am going to take the cabin...and the deal breaker was not because I don't have to climb steps, but because I get WINDOWS!!!!!!!! - three wall windows and a door window...where I would get only a door window if I lived in Buck.  Pretty exciting!

OH ANOTHER SIDE NOTE!  I do not have cell phone service while I am on the Kelly Campus at the Teton Science Schools!  Basically where I am taking WFR and where I will be living and mostly teaching.  The hills that are north of us totally block out the Verizon cell service towers from heading into the valley where we live in.  So if you want to keep in touch with me, e-mail is the best way, since my phone still gets WiFi!!! Also to my fellow iPhone people, I can still get iMessage while being on WiFi!

If I want to make a call I have to drive or walk about a mile away from campus on the main road to make calls from my phone.  So last night I made a few to my mom and some friends.  This totally made me home sick!!! Wahhh.  I never thought that would happen, you know?! As much as I complain to get out of De, talking to my friends and family back home was pretty hard. :( And it was only day ONE!  How sad is that.  But you know, after getting off the phone with my last call, I turned and looked at the mountains, and it totally made me realize why I was here and I felt better.  I think it's gonna take some time to fully adapt to this place, but I am optimistic that I will be fine!

Today in WFR, we learned CPR, the Heimlich, and spinal injury preparation and assessment.  Still intense, but I think my nervousness for this class slowly dissipates as I meet new people and get more confident in the information I am learning. 

Learned how to strap a person if with spinal injuries if being evacuated our of the backcountry!
After class, a group of 6 other WFR students and I that are staying on site decided to go on a hike around campus for the sunset after dinner.  We had such a great time hiking together and then finally catching our breaths to the top of a mega 'hill,' we were able to sit and goof off and watch the sunset.  Nate you would be proud, but I totally taught people the 'Salmon Handshake!' haha.

Anyways, we did some summit posing, jumping photos, and group shots.  I will post them as soon as I get them in my clutches!

To all my Blog Readers, I may not post any new blogs over the next few days due to WFR.  Just hold tight, I'll be back! I promise!  Let me get certified first as a WFR!  See you all so soon!

Teton Range Panoramic!
Sunset...I do not think I will ever get tired of this!
I am pretty happy to have made some friends and to be in such short distances of beautiful views!

Xoxo,
TheChristyBel

Summit Posing with a new WFR friend, Alisha!

5 comments:

  1. Love that you met new friends and you are in your own cabin!!! Cannot wait to hear about all of the cool things you are learning at Wilderness training!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic journey you have had. I've always wanted to visit Yellowstone and you'll get to see it without tourists. I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to commune with the bears! Isn't nice to know you are sitting on top of one of the largest, and potentially most deadly, volcanic systems in the world! And a precursor of things to come this year, they teach you life saving techniques right off the get-go...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, last picture is a gem. Keep at it girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GAH! I am so incredibly happy for you and so proud too! It looks beautiful out there - I can't wait to come visit and have you show me around Wyoming nature!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sent Gordon your blog. He's had a great time sailing and making paddles up in New York. Found out that Jim is out of the hospital (finally) and home. He is not out of the woods so to speak. He is on dialysis 3 days a week. Hopefully now that he is home we will hear from him.

    ReplyDelete