Wednesday, February 22, 2017

In Search of Short-Eared Owls

After the successful SMAN DSRC Tour program I had this morning, I decided to treat myself to a sunset hike over at the Shawangunk Grasslands. I have heard that during the winter months, you are able to see Short-eared Owls around dusk and dawn. So I grabbed my binoculars and headed on over. When I arrived, there were already a bunch of other birders there. I walked over to the birding platform and waited. Sure enough, as you look over the grasslands, I saw two very large birds gliding just above the grass line. The profile of the birds had flat-faces and I immediately knew what they were, Short-eared Owls! Oh it was super cool to see them. They were definitely too fast and too far away for me to photograph (as I was already using my binoculars). But it was a pretty magical moment. While watching the owls come and out of view, I also stumbled upon some Northern Harriers (mostly juveniles) flying around and perching on the posts in the fields. I got some photographs of them, but I apologize for the blurriness. Maybe one day I'll save enough money for some better camera-action. Also, the sunset was spectacular too! If you ever visit New Paltz, the Shawangunk Grasslands is a great place to visit, whether its winter time or not!

TheChristyBel

The Shawangunk Grasslands Sunset
Beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment