Friday, February 14, 2014

Avalanche Off Cloudveil

So, yesterday, I had a day off from class and teaching.  Did a lot of personal errands, or well to-do's around the campus from cleaning my messy cabin, rearranging the furniture, writing letters to friends and family, to finishing up my Year 2-Graduate School application to the University of Wyoming.

In the midst of my productive zone, I was sitting at my desk and all of a sudden I hear this huge crash outside my cabin.  I turn to my window, and it was not what I saw but lack of what I saw: which was nothing except snow!  Instead of seeing the view to the Main Lodge and Dining Lodge, all I could see was a huge mound of snow!

Avalanche off of Cloudveil Dome Cabin!
There was a mini-avalanche that had occurred on my roof and covered my view from my window.  All winter snow had been piling up on the roof.  I am thinking about 2 and half to 4 feet of snow.  The past few days have been full of an endless snowfall and the weird thing is that the temperatures have been increasing to the low and mid-30s. So this slight warming had been causing snow all around campus to melt and fall off.  Which can be really scary based on how much had accrued on my cabin!

Snowy Damage
Luckily, no one was hurt in the process and my cabin was left un-damaged!  However, I think maybe should try to prevent this from happening again and taking off some of that accumulated snow off my cabin.  Hmmm. Or Maybe I should do what they do at the ski resorts, bomb the snow and have artificial avalanches!

What It Looked Like Before the Fall: Lots of Snowy Layers & Icicles
Deadly Icicles
This Has Left Me With a Lack of Sunshine Into My Cabin & Scenic View Out of My Window
Guess I'll Have Some Shoveling To Do Tomorrow!
TheChristyBel

No comments:

Post a Comment